New Parline: the IPU’s Open Data Platform (beta)
Your one-stop-shop for information about national parliaments

Eritrea

-

National Assembly

Data on women

empty

Basic information > About parliament

Speaker

Speaker
Isaias Afwerki (Male)
Year of birth
1946

Members

Current number of members, by sex
Women The number of female parliamentarians who currently hold seats in parliament.
33
See historical data for this field.
Percentage of women Calculated by dividing the current number of women by the current number of members.
22% See historical data for this field.

Reserved seats and quotas

Electoral quota for women Quotas to promote the representation of women in parliament.
Notes
30% of seats are reserved for women; and women can run for the remaining 70% of seats. (Source: https://www.idea.int/data-tools/data/gender-quotas )
Elections > Election results

Results

Members elected, by sex
Number of men elected
83
Number of women elected
22
Percentage of women elected The percentage is calculated by dividing the number of women elected in the election and the number of seats at stake at the election.
20.95%
Number of women after election or renewal, by mode of designation
Women Indirectly Elected
22

New legislature

Total number of men after the election The total number of male parliamentarians in this parliament/chamber following the election or renewal, regardless of their modes of designation.
83
Total number of women after the election The total number of female parliamentarians in this parliament/chamber following the election or renewal, regardless of their modes of designation.
22
First Speaker of the new legislature
First Speaker of the new legislature First name of the Speaker of the new legislature following the election or renewal.
Isaias Afwerki (Male)
Elections > Historical data on women

Women's suffrage

Date of independence For countries that become independent after 1940
1993
Women’s right to vote
Women’s right to vote Year in which women obtained the right to vote
1993
National or local Suffrage: National or Local
National
Restricted or unrestricted suffrage Suffrage: Restricted or Universal
Universal
Notes Suffrage: Additional Notes on right of suffrage
Prior to independence while being a part of Ethiopia, women were granted the right to vote on 4 November 1955 as in the rest of Ethipia. This right was confirmed at independence.
Women’s right to stand for election
Women's right to stand for election Year in which women obtained the right to stand for election
1955
National or local Stand for Election: National or Local
National
First woman in parliament
First woman in parliament Year in which first woman entered parliament
1994